Dr. Jacob Varghese
Dr. Jacob Varghese
Senior Consultant & HOD, Director Of Orthopaedics and Department of Joint Replacement & Sports Medicine
MBBS,D.Orth ,MS.(Orth), M.Ch (Orth)
- MBBS 1985 Kasturba Manipal College Manipal
- D.Orth 1988
- MS Orth 1989 Kasturba Medical College Manipal
- Mch orth 1995 from Liverpool University
- Down Corning Upper limb fellowship 1995
- Orthopaedic training in joint replacement and sports injuries at Robert Jones and Agnes Hunt orthopaedic hospital, North Staffordshire university hospital, Wrightington hospital Wigan and Wrexham Maelor hospital from 1990 to 1994. He did his Upper limb Fellowship from Wrightington, NHS Trust Wigan UK 1995.
- Primary interests are in Joint preservation(Biologics and Mesenchymal Cells) Sports injuries and joint replacement of the upper and lower limb.
- Research interests are in enhanced augmented techniques in meniscal & Cartilage repairs, ACL repairs and biological ACL reconstruction, and multi-ligament reconstructions of the knee.
- Senior Consultant in Adult reconstruction unit at Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences, Kochi.2000 to 2007
- Senior Consultant and as Head of the unit of sports injuries at Khoula Hospital, Oman.2012 – 2016
- Visiting Consultant in Aster Hospital Ghubra, Oman 2011 to 2016
- Consultant, North Staffordshire University Hospital, Stroke on Trent, UK. 2005 to 2006
- 3 decades of experience and a pioneer in the field of Joint Replacement & Sports Injuries in Kerala. Started the first dedicated adult reconstruction unit in the state.
- In 2000, he was the first surgeon to start revision joint replacement and meniscal repairs and performed the first Arthroscopic surgery for shoulder, elbow and wrist disorders in the state.
- He has the largest series of biological ACL (more than 3000) and revision ACL and multi-ligament reconstructions in the state and is the pioneer in chondrocyte and mesenchymal stem cell implantation in cartilage injuries and injection of biologicals for osteoarthritis (Sankine, SVF, LP- PRP and LR-PRP).
- ISAKOS, International society of arthroscopy, Knee Surgery and Orthopaedic Sports Medicine
- AAOS-American academy of orthopaedic surgeons
- ICRS – International cartilage research society
- AAHKS American Association of Hip and knee surgeons
- APAS – Asia Pacific arthroplasty Association
- AFSM – Asian Federation of Sports Medicine
- IOA -Indian Orthopaedic Association
- IAS- Indian arthroscopy society
- SKI – Society of Knee Surgeons in India